Saturday 29 August 2015

Healthy fish and chips with only 5 ingredients

I love this recipe

I love fish and chips, however I'm not overly keen on the greasiness, nor what it does for my waist line so I developed a healthier version. It's incredibly simple and as I can be pretty lazy and impatient in the kitchen, works for me really well!

Your five ingredients


And here we go!
1. Cod (or whatever fish you want)
2. A sweet potato (1 per person)
3. A tin of mushy peas (I will eat the whole tin, but depends how much you like them)
4. Olive oil
5. Cajun spice

Preheat oven to about 200c fan / 220c normal oven



1. Peel and chop the sweet potato into chips - You can do wedges, you can do whatever you want, however I've found chips about this size, take about 40 mins in the oven so make sure you know how long they take to cook! 



2. Place chips on baking tray, drizzle a tablespoon of oil... coat the chips in oil and then sprinke approx 2 tablespoons of Cajun spice on the chips. You can do more, you can do less, I'm not keen on spicy things, however this spice really doesn't seem to have a lot of kick in it. If you wanted them plain, then that's cool.. or maybe even try a different spice?

3. Chuck chips in oven for 20 mins.



4. Grab some silver foil (you don't need to do it this way, but I prefer it) and brush some oil on the foil. Place fish in the middle of the foil and close - I tend to make it like a giant silver pasty.. but you can cook the fish how you wish... I just prefer steaming it in the oven in its own juices.

5. After 20 mins, check on the chips and turn them over... (else one side cooks more than the other) 

6. After another 5 minutes place fish in oven

7. After another 15 minutes (so 40 for the chips, 15 minutes for the fish) check on both... they should be ready!



8. Quickly zap the peas in the microwave (if you have a microwave, I'm backward.. so don't!) for a few minutes whilst you're dishing up the rest of the food... and voila!



AWESOME TASTING FISH AND CHIPS :-)

As I'm not a food technician or nutritionist, I'm not entirely sure how many of your five a day this covers, however I'm guessing it's two.... one with the sweet potato and one for the peas? Also.. you've got fish which is low in fat and really good on the protein front, so I think you're hitting a lot of the 'good' foods when you shove this into your gob!

No comments:

Post a Comment