Tuesday 28 July 2015

Dealing with Doctors and Nurses

Compared to yesterday, today has been comparatively quiet. A little too quiet to be honest.

Breakfast: 1/2 Punnet of Strawberries
Lunch: Grilled chicken breast, handful of cherry tomatoes and lettuce
Dinner: Salmon and red pepper omelette 
Snacks: No snacks today - still making up for the weekend!

When I knew I'd be put on garden leave, I tried to sort out things in my life - book a dentists appointment, see friends / family when I could and also book a smear test as my 3 year letter was sent to me via the NHS Trust saying it was time for that 'fun' experience again. I'm no stranger to the speculum as I've had a number of swabs taken due to being diagnosed with a uterus infection 10 years ago and also having been diagnosed with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) on a couple of occasions. I can't say I've ever enjoyed it - especially considering I have a massive distrust of Medical Professionals and really struggle with having anything done to me in a medical sense. 

Despite this, I knew I had to make an appointment soon - I don't find it particularly enjoyable at all, in fact, I find it really uncomfortable as I tense a lot (like a lot of women, I imagine) however the thought of potentially having cervical cancer is such a sobering one, I feel you just need to 'get on with it'.

I woke up this morning, went in the bath and made myself look 'presentable'. breakfast was half a punnet of Strawberries as I really didn't feel in the mood for porridge. Despite Tescos telling me that the strawberries would be OK until tomorrow - half of them had gone really mushy and I'm not keen on eating them when they're that ripe so whilst half of them went into my stomach, the other half made their way to the bin :-( Interestingly, after I'd had a high protein and virtually 0 carb day yesterday, I found that my bowl movements were very, erm.. fast and I had to run to the loo very quickly this morning. I found myself wondering if this is what people taking that weight loss tablet - 'Alli' felt like. Either way, I don't think I could keep up a high protein diet for very long! 

The entire morning and early afternoon I kept worrying about my Drs appointment. I hate, hate, hate them and as my Boyfriend was at work, I felt really alone and wished I had some company. I guess this is the downside to not being at work when everyone else is... it's not as fun as you'd believe when everyone else is busy and you're on your own. I tried to be productive by feeding the birds in the garden - despite feeding them a few days ago, they go through the fat balls, fat block, sunflower seeds and normal bird food really quickly! and within minutes of putting more food out there, the fat wood pigeon was scoffing his face...

Lunch was a oven baked chicken breast, a handful of cherry tomatoes wrapped in a couple of large lettuce leaves. I still think I'm focussed on trying to 'detox' after my weekend of eating unhealthy rubbish and so far, it's going OK!

15:00 came and I was sat in the Drs surgery, waiting for my name to be called. As per usual, I was thinking the worst - that the Sister would be horrible, rude... etc, however she was nothing but pleasant - she even listened when I said that I usually tense up, so sometimes it's hard to get a swab from me! She said 'If you need me to stop at any time, just let me know' and the fact I felt she meant it, really put me at ease. I can't say it was pleasant and as usual, I bled a very little bit - However apparently I was 'really easy' compared to some patients and she managed to get a swab so hurrah! My results will come back in a week :-)



Obviously I won't be posting any photos of that part of my day, however she also gave me a leaflet on breast change. I suppose it's one thing I don't really do - check my breasts, so if you're a woman and haven't done it for a while... please click on the photo and spend a worthwhile 2 minutes making sure yours are OK, too :-)

Tonight I'll be making an omelette using 2 eggs + 3 additional egg whites and adding some smoked salmon trimmings and a red pepper - Salmon and pepper omelette, yummy! I have to say, I'm really proud of the fact that for the last 2 days I've got my head together and am once again on the right side of the track for healthy eating. I think back to what I ate last week and really, really cringe, but there's nothing I can do about it - I can only control what goes into my mouth from this point forward.

.. and I still really want to reach my goal of wearing size 14 jeans on Christmas Day... I've got, what? 4 months, 3 weeks left... to lose a little more weight and drop 1 dress size? EASY! I don't want to be kicking myself on Christmas day thinking 'If only I ate more healthy'...  And then I want to start 2016 with another goal.

But first things first.. I'm off to dust my bedroom - Living the dream :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment