One of the best healthy 'makeover' recipes I've ever done
If you love fried chicken and are partial to a KFC but less partial to the calories and fat that it contains, look no further. This recipe is easy, relatively quick and incredibly tasty - Did I mention it was also rather healthy? :-)
Ingredients - serves 4
150 ml (1/4 of a pint) buttermilk
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 x skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 bag of salad or suitable salad bits
80g of cheese
4 large tortilla wraps
100g Panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp self raising flour
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Pour buttermilk into a bowl and stir in the garlic. Slice the chicken into slices and lay chicken into buttermilk. If possible, marinade over night, but at least for one hour in the fridge.
2. In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs, flour, mustard powder, thyme, chilli powder and black pepper and mix.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan with the rapeseed oil and then add the breadcrumb mix. Toast for about 3-4 minutes until they start to go golden.
4. Tip the crumb mix back into the bowl it came from. Take the chicken from the fridge and coat the chicken in the breadcrumb mix. Place on a baking sheet.
5. Heat the oven to 210 C for a fan oven / 230 C for a non fan oven (Gas 8) and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Prepare the wraps - place one on each plate, add some salad and grate 20g of cheese over each.
7. Once the chicken is done, divide chicken equally between the wraps and hey presto - the most amazing and tasty KFC wrap!